From:
Scot McPherson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:37:20 -0500
Aaron,
	There are NYC beekeepers you know, some of them operate at a profit
with hives on rooftops and balconies, and sell their honey for an absolute
premium. I think there was even an article about urban beekeeping in one of
the two US magazines in the last 6 or so months. I can't see any reason why
they can't do what they want, they might not get the results they want in
sustainability, but if they don't mind replacing the bees if they don't make
it through winter, I can't see anything wrong with their plan.

	Good neighbor beekeeping doesn't mean abstaining, it means taking
all the precautions necessary to ensure someone doesn't get hurt. It is not
good neighbor beekeepeing to just cave in and get rid of your bees, but to
educate educate educate and make friends of your neighbors. Caving and
getting rid of your bees isn't beekeeping nor is it good neighbor practices,
it's called allowing yourself to be bullied and continuing to set a
precedence of bullying between residents. Better to work together and
develop a honey bee awareness program so that your friendly neighbors can
come together with you when one neighbor has reservations.

	I even think there was another article about that in the MAGs too
about developing a honey bee awareness/appreciation group before moving bees
into a neighborhood or city. It certainly helps when you end up going to
court or nuisance hearing to have a group of support that shows that a
number of people want the bees, not just you as an individual.

	Sorry I don't agree with what you say here, and I think it is
important for beekeepers to smartly expand and educate and develop
appreciation for honey bees, instead of clustering in tight and getting
pushed out everywhere.

Scot McPherson
McPherson Family Farms
Davenport, IA