From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 2015 08:27:31 -0500
It makes perfect sense if the lowered mite levels are not genetically based, but environmentally driven (e.g., isolated hives, low colony density, high rate of swarming, etc).

Even in stock that’s proven to be genetically distinct, the qualities evaporate pretty quickly due to supersedure and outcrossing.

If the hypothesis doesn’t agree with reality, hypothesis has got to go.

Peters comment is 110% on.   We have seen time and time again the "Mite restiant" stock fail when locations are changed.  I personally have tested several thousands of dollars on different lines,  and see no results.  I am quite sure that stock was doing well where it was bought,  but when relocated  it fails.....  From "localy adapted" to hygenics  so far the song has been the same.

Whats Really interesting to me,  is after years of super high mites,  last year  I had really low numbers in a lot of hives. Over 1/3 tested in 0-1% in Sept.  never seen that before   No it was not genetics,  or yard locations.  I suspect environmental issues.  No clue really,  but nothing else made sense.

Charles