From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2013 07:42:19 -0400
On 21-Oct-13, at 12:50 AM, Bret Leversha wrote:

>  Im not sure having a top & bottom entrance is a good idea as it
> makes it difficult for the bees to protect both entrances. I would
> just use the top entrance, especially if your hives  are in 1 metre
> high snow.

Hi Bret and all

I should have mentioned that we use top and bottom entrances, both
small to keep mice and moles out.  The air is drawn in the bottom and
vented out the top.  Even with 1M of snow around the hive, the
radiant heat of the hive melts the snow, which is a good insulator,
away from the hive, leaving it surrounded by a pocket of air.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W