From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 2009 09:43:34 -0700

> >I am still surprised that the bees cluster out from instead of moving
> promptly into the supers to cluster.

Me, too--that's why I was asking if others also see.  Let me answer your
questions.

> >Are the temperatures hot when you do this?

Yes, in July in Calif and Nevada it is always hot and dry.

>   >What frames and foundation do you use?

Brand new presassembled Dadant or Mann Lake.

> >Is all your foundation in new frames?

All waxed plastic foundation.  I used to use Permadent, and perhaps the bees
liked that better.

> > Does it matter whether you add the supers before or after trucking?

Doesn't seem to.  We can't leave the bees without a second box for too long,
as they are quite crowded.

> >  Are you using tons of smoke?

We don't use much smoke.

My guess is that there is no wax ladder.  The frames are brand new wood.  As
Jerry and Juanse say, any sort of bait comb in the box helps.

The lag does not seem to be a big problem--once they start working, they
fill the box of foundation incredibly rapidly, and as you noted, they move
quickly into a second super placed above.

I can understand why bees might be loathe to work up into a box of brand new
foundation.  The question that I was really curious about is whether others
who move to alfalfa see a lag time before the bees start to work it.

Randy Oliver