From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 14:35:51 -0500
There has been discussion on this subject, particularly concerning the ARS
Y-C-1 Carnolian Yugoslavian bee.  I seem to recall that this strain has not
had a good reputation for honey production.
David Eyre referenced the breeding program in Ontario.  Interested persons
might want to visit Sue Cobey's site at
http://iris.biosci.ohio-state.Edu/honeybee/breeding/Images/Homepage.GI   I
have a lot of respect for Ms. Cobey and she seems to be doing some amazing
things on tracheal resistance.  Once at the site, click on "New World
Carnolian".
Ms. Cobey told me that when the New World Carnolian program was started that
the stock from Hastings was very important.  He was in Birch Hills, Sask..
I haven't heard anything about his program (North of the Agricultural Zone)
in a few years.  Anyone know if he is still producing queens?
Lloyd