From:
"Gordon D. Hayes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 1995 02:11:50 -0400
>Some years ago I read - I think in "Gleanings" - that a beekeeper in
>Pennsylvania was using a couple of menthol cough drops per colony to
>control tracheal mites.  Has anyone on the net tried this?  Any success?

I read the article also. My mentor told me I would be wasting my time trying
this. (I have to keep my hives alive or I go broke). There is only about 7
mg. of menthol per drop. The recommended dosage of menthol/hive is 50 mg. I
believe.

A much more effective manner is to place crisco/sugar patties in the hive
year round. But don't add any Terramycin. Something about the vegetable oil
discourages the tracheal mite from taking up house.