From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 22:56:23 -0600
> When you introduce foundation in a mediocre nectar flow, of course
> the bees will be slow to draw it out. As Donald stated if the draw
> combs were capped the bees would work the foundation, of course,
> they had no choice. That's the way it is if the flow is marginal.
> They need to not have a choice.
>
> The other point is that foundation ,if interspersed, is more
> attractive to the bees as they aren't faced with a whole super of
> it. Which has been proven to act as a barrier to upward expansion.
> Just give them some more time, they will fill the drawn comb first,
> and then work on the foundation. The important thing is that the
> flow ( the bigger the flow the better the draw), and the strength of
> the colony determine the rate at which the bees work any foundation.
> Don't be impatient!!!!!! Yes, bees will follow the contour of
> ajacent comb when drawing new comb, they are working with "bee
> space".

I'm with Tim.

We had a lousey year and yet I am entirely happy about all the
plastic foundation I used (10,000 sheets) .  I used it in the broods,
I used it in  the supers, and over 80% of it was at least half drawn
-- most more.

In the hands of a capable beekeeper It is far better than wax for
consistent quality of combs and durability.  I've used thousands of
pounds of wax foundation too, and I'd never go back.

Regional differences, doubtlessly exist, and perhaps different
batches of product get different results, but to those who have
trouble with it, I can only suggest re-examining their techniques and
timing.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>