Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:45:22 -0400
> To beekeepers reading you need to choose wisely which course of action for
> your bees.

> while the Higes ( and Bob Harrison) position is too WORRY and try to keep
> levels low through monitoring and TREATMENT with fumigillin.

I think that is our position in Alberta, too.   Although we are not positive
what caused the escalating losses in recent years, it was clear that
reducing mite and nosema incidence and levels might be the place to start,
along with, of course, encouraging good beekeeping practices.  The guess
seems to have been right, because losses plummeted when the beekeepers
attended to these matters.

If a beekeeper wants to take chances with nosema and pests, there is no
guarantee that such risky behaviour will result in disaster, but the odds
increasingly favour such a result.

The question to ask then is, "Do you feel lucky?"

For those who would risk a livelihood, prudence is the watchword.