From:
Tim Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 05:39:41 -0400
Frank I. Reiter asks

 Has anybody tried this[wide entrances] and had success?  Has anybody tried
this and found
 problems with it?

Frank - I have tried and like wide entrance bottom boards.  In fact, I have
a number of 'normal' bottom boards to sell/give if someone wants them.

Regarding cooling, this may not be the case without top ventilation.  If
cooling is your concern, there also have been several posts regarding
screened bottoms(check the archives).  I know that wide entrances with top
ventilation similar to the D.E. hive works well  in our climate(North
Carolina) to eliminate the bearding and fanning in warm weather(90-100
degrees).  I also feel (by observation) that the hives that I have with wide
entrances/top ventilation have more activity, and know emperically that they
produce more honey.

As to whether the bees like this better and are less aggressive - I don't
know. I have always worked the hives from the back, and the wide entrance
makes it easier to manipulate the parts (as in less clumsy/easier on the
back).  I don't get stung often either way, and still purchase hives with
normal entrances - though I change the bottom board as soon as I have the
time to make another when I have depleted my supply.

Try it in your locale.  If you like it, the bees don't seem to mind.  If you
don't like it, then you are no worse off for trying.  If ventilation is the
goal, the warm air rising through the hive works great, and when the weather
is warm and still, the entire yard smells like a huge bee hive.

Tim Rich -