From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 08:21:29 -0500
   Bees are now building fast in most of North America, according to what I
see and hear from others. It's a good time to review a simple basic thing
that is one of the most common mistakes that new beekeepers make. (And old
timers are not immune to this error too.)

    This is a very dangerous season for the bees.  In the early winter, there
is little brood, and bees are not very active, so they eat little.  But they
are raising a lot of brood now, and every chance they get, they are out
looking for pollen and nectar.  So they are burning up feed.

   Hives that die during the early winter, rarely die of starvation.  Usually
they are weak going into winter and cannot hold their heat. Or they have
mites, or a failing queen.

   But the best, the strongest, the most beautiful hives are the most
vulnerable right now.

   If they do not have sufficient provisions, they are living "on the edge."
 On good days they can bring in more feed.  They will keep building.  But you
and I know there will be some  cold days, perhaps a storm, a rainy spell, yet
to come.

   And in a matter of just a couple days, that beautiful hive will be dead!
 You will find a huge mass of stinking bees most with their heads in the
cells, trying to get a last trace of honey from the bottom of the cell.  Or
you'll find the brood all dead, and a remnant of bees quivering from the last
energy their weakened muscles can extract from their bodies.

    It is a sad sight, and entirely preventable.

    Every strong hive right now is a pregnant cow.  If you lose it, you've
lost both the cow and the calf.   CHECK THEM ASAP!

    If there is little CAPPED honey, only nectar, they are living day by day,
and have no resources that will carry them through some bad days.

    Best plan of all, if possible.  Give them back a couple frames of capped
honey right next on either side of the cluster.  That is a reserve that is
instantly available to them, even in the nastiest weather.  Don't do it on
both sides, as you can block the queen from laying, if the weather should be
nice.

    Then go ahead and feed some syrup, too.

    Alternatively, you can put on a super with three or four frames of honey.
Center these directly above the cluster.  If you are in the north, put a
sheet of newspaper over the brood nest.  You can make a small hole through
it, just above the cluster. They can get the honey, but not have to heat the
empty part of the box.  They will remove the newspaper in their own time.

   If you don't have any honey saved, perhaps you can take from a hive that
has a surplus.  Any hives that are honey bound at this time of year, will not
develop very well, and they are likely to swarm.  A hive that is overly heavy
may need a check anyway; sometimes it is queenless, so they are eating
little. These can be broken up and given to other hives that need the honey.
Better that you do it, than that they are robbed out later.

    If you don't have any honey available, then feed what you have.  But in
estimating the reserve of the bees; we need to emphasize the point: ONLY
CAPPED HONEY COUNTS.  If a hive has less than two full deep frames of capped
honey, they are vulnerable to a bad weather spell.

   In the south we can easily get lulled at this time of year.  We are
experiencing an early flow.  Hives with a honey reserve are making more
honey.  There is nectar dripping all over the place, and a few hives are
capping new honey.  But hives without a reserve have brought in much less
nectar.  They need capped honey within quick reach.

    You can guarantee there will be more barren times before the main flow.
 I have seen beautiful hives with big clusters, die just days before the main
flow breaks.

     I am vulnerable to this failing as well.  There is a lot of equipment to
prepare. Honey customers are clammoring for the now scarce supply, as most
beekeepers are sold out. There are flowers everywhere, and bees are just a
hummin'.  It's easy to get complaisant.

    But I have to remind myself that the bees come first: I've got to get out
and make sure they have enough to get through to the real flow.

    May your flowers be full of nectar.  And may you have plenty of surviving
bees!

[log in to unmask]    Dave Green,  PO Box 1200,  Hemingway,  SC
29554        (Dave & Jan's Pollination Service,  Pot o'Gold Honey Co.)

Pollination for lay people, students, teachers
....Of bees, beekeepers, and food
http://users.aol.com/queenbjan/primbees.htm

Pollination for the pros - those involved in doing it:
Practical Pollination Home Page            Dave & Janice Green
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light         Varietal Honeys and Gift Sets
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.ht