From:
Dick Marron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 2009 09:58:53 -0400
Stan wrote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It is this relative non toxicity to mammals

Oops, you pushed a button. I'm not rabid about it because I know the
futility of trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube, but let's face
it.we are awash with chemicals in our environment. I know something about
the human nervous system. For a quick 101 course go to any primary school
and observe the school nurse at recess when she/he doles out the daily dose
of Ritalin, which BTW is an amphetamine. This is to aid the child to sit
still and pay attention in class and not exhibit ADHD (Attention
Deficit/Hyperactivity  Disorder). I was around when this phenomenon was
termed MBD (Minimal Brain Dysfunction). This syndrome and others (as Autism)
are thought to result from some damage to the nervous  system while it is
developing. Our friends at Penn state have found 170 different foreign
chemicals/pesticides in bee colonies. Cities in the US have 50 different
pharmaceuticals in the drinking water. Some cities in the corn-belt have
special equipment to remove nitrates from the drinking water. If I wanted to
write a bad book (See Peter Borst's recent book report) I'd relate all this
to declining High School graduations etc.

Speaking of milk (pervasiveness): The most effective TV ad I've ever seen
was a picture of a breast with the caption :"This container contains milk
that would be illegal to transport across state lines due to levels of DDT."

Back to the point:  "Non-toxic to mammals," can't be stated as true until
you see the results IN a HUMAN a number of years down the line. We have a
nervous system that is born incomplete. It remains vulnerable for many
years. That's why babies need such long-term care.  Studies on rats, to
prove mammalian resistance to pesticides, won/t do it for me. I don't claim
expertise in insect nerve transmission but do suspect that a nerve is a
nerve.

We are a culture that looks to a pill to solve problems. (Ritalin is such a
search.) IMD is such a search. If it were banned tomorrow we would likely
get something worse, like a plant that creates its' own virus to combat
pests.

Dick Marron,

Thinking, OK, I'm a little rabid.