Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2011 19:31:43 -0500
Paul writes:

have a  preponderance of beekeepers in those areas been reporting a decline
 in
honey crops and failure to thrive?  Especially since the widespread
adoption of neonic treated seed beginning
around 2004 -  2005?

I didn't say anything about neonics or any time frames.  I've  frequently
heard from many beekeepers in the corn belt who, like Bob, don't want  to put
bees near corn - or if they 'park' them there, they don't expect to get a
honey crop.  I don't think that's anything new, but it may have  become more
widespread - it seems like the alcohol fuels program and other  factors
have made CORN the crop to plant based on current economics.

It would be interesting to compare overall acres of corn by year over the
past couple of decades.

Frankly, in IL last summer, I saw very few bee colonies in the  intensive
corn areas that I visited - the one exception was a couple  dozen hives on a
trailer parked  by a streamside.  So, it looks like  the beekeepers have
decided to stay away.

I assume that the beekeepers in the area know what they are talking about
when they say that their bees don't thrive in the midst of corn fields, and
from  what I could see, most stay away from those areas - I trust that if
experienced beekeepers tell me that their colonies don't do well, its
probably true.

However, why the bees don't thrive in areas of corn is a different
question.

Jerry