From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2014 05:13:34 -0400
> I am curious if there is a minimum distance from
> the hive from which bees will not collect forage.

We have a number of rooftops where the distance between the bees and their
hoped-to-be primary water source is 10 feet or less.

Many green roofs are intended to retain rainwater and keep it out of the
storm sewers, so they have Sedum planted, right up to the hives.
There are also plantings at the same close-by distanced near the hives such
as a patch of lavender on a green roof, or a planter box.

I have seen no reluctance on the part of bees to forage within a few feet of
the hive.