From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 06:09:58 -0500
Robert Mann wrote:

> Alan Riach wrote:
>         >There has been much discussion about the effect of high voltage
> lines on
> >all sorts of organisms, humans and  farm animals as well as bees, but no
> >hard evidence of a direct damage mechanism.
>
>         I may be reading too much in, but I do hope this statement isn't
> meant to imply that we shouldn't believe there's any effect until we have a
> good hypothesis for its mechanism.

There is no effect. That is what is implied.

I am not sure what you are implying but I assume that it is we should not
think all is OK when all is OK because it may not be. This is philosophy,
not science. And pardon the double negative.

The issue of bees and power lines has come up often in this group and each
time the observation is that the lines themselves are not a problem. Power
company spraying, bears, vandals and other things are. And each time it
comes up, there is an assumption that it must be bad for the bees.

As far as mechanism, electricity has been with us for quite some time, as
have strong electromagnetic fields and people working in close proximity to
them. So the data is available.
And concentrating cosmic rays and pollution particles says little since it
does not tell us how much, such as one percent or 5,000 percent, compared
to what is harmful- if it even does. You are not talking about a coil
generating a strong magnetic field but relatively straight parallel wires
carrying AC which would have some EMF but would tend to interact and cancel
out. But I will leave the truth of that, since it is only my guess, to
power line experts.

Just curious, but what is the difference between a big Geiger counter and a
little one? My guess is one measures big cosmic waves and the other little
cosmic waves.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME

Late breaking news:
The new Florida Ballot will come with BINGO written over the top.