From:
Vladimir Ptacek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 1994 19:42:43 CST
In spite of the fact that I am only a "hobbeekeeper" (round 30 colonies)
I have some experience with crystalyzed honey. I would see following
possibilities how to cope with the problem:

1. To use it as winterstores. This is possible in case of flower honey.
   Crystalyzed honeydew with lots of trisacharide melecitose is not allowed
   for this purposs. The chamber with capped granulated honey should be put
   on the brood chamber(s) as soon as the latest honey flow was extracted.
   (Overwintering in more chambers in well ventilated hives supplied with
   plenty stores brings strong colonies and more honey next season.)

2. In spring, after having checked the colony and removed uncovered
   space, super with crystalyzed honey can be put bellow the brood
   chamber from where bees start to transport honey to the upper parts of
   the hive especially if cappings were partially destroied.
   The higher air humidity bellow brood nest helps the bees with convering
   honey into the liquid state. For this purposs a dark honey is
   sutable, too.(The bee population should be numerous enough to manage
   the given space.) Colonies develop rapidly  and later on first supers
   can be added to accumulate incomming nectar mixed with converted honey.

3. The combs with honey can be melted and "honey" used for production of
   honey-vine or sold for sweetening.

4. Have red somewhere that it would be possible to warm combs with honey
   in a special chamber to 45 - 48 deg. C. till honey solves and then,
   after the temperature would fall a little again, honey should be
   extracted.

Earlier I also changed honey for sugar because of the difference in prices
but now I know that bees bring more than stores left for them and the time
costs something, too. If the colony is not forced to convert large amounts
of sugar in late summer it remains unussually strong.

Best regards,
Vladimir Ptacek ([log in to unmask])
Czech Republic