From:
Michael Moroney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 1994 22:00:00 -0500
> This is my first posting to your list, and I apologize for posting
> if this issue has been discussed already. I maintain three hives
> "just for fun" but in the last year received my education regarding
> varroa (and perhaps tracheal mites, but I can't tell). This year
> I've put some crisco patties in my hives and attempted to purchase some
> menthol. Alas the only amounts that I can purchase appear to be for
> 25 hives- much more than I think I could use. Is there any source
> for smaller amounts, say something like 9 ounces for so?

I had an old time beekeeper suggest ordinary menthol cough drops.  (He
suggested Luden's).  Read the label and look for ones that don't contain
things possibly harmful to bees (that is they're pretty much limited to
menthol, and sugar/corn syrup/honey, and color/flavoring.

I think he suggested 3 boxes per hive.

-Mike