From:
Adrian Wenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 1994 08:18:37 PST
>>For all those out there that were gloves when working
>>over bee hives, try to do with out these as they tend to make you
>>less competent when handling frames.

   I essentially never work with gloves, but then I am not in the business
of producing honey, shaking packages, or other heavy work.  However, when
trying to find queens and other work done when a minimum disturbance of the
colony is essential, Tom Glenn of Fallbrook CA showed me an interesting
trick that I now do sometimes.  While he normally works barehanded or uses
heavy gloves when appropriate, he slipped on a pair of surgical gloves when
searching for a queen.

   It works great!  One has all the capability provided by bare hands but
still has the flexibility for manipulating frames and even picking up bees.
 After closing up the colony, one can invert and discard the glove after
removing it (about 10 cents a glove).  The bees usually do not get a good
enough grasp of the latex to force their stinger through the glove.
Squashing a bee between the fingers is another matter, of course.

  (Maybe beekeepers who use surgical gloves can claim they are in the same
league as surgeons!)

                                                Adrian

* Adrian Wenner        E-Mail   [log in to unmask]  *
* Department of Biology        Office Phone    (805) 893-2838 *
* University of California     Lab Phone       (805) 893-2838 *
* Santa Barbara, CA  93106     FAX             (805) 893-4724 *