From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 09:29:50 -0700
Some of you may recall having heard of Mad Bee Disease in France and the
demonstrations at the Eiffel Tower.

French beekeepers attribute the loss of -- according to one report -- as many as
450,000 hives over the last decade to imidacloprid, a pesticide that is now
becoming widely used worldwide.  Imidacloprid is used in many commercial
formulations under many different brand names and is a systemic.  This means
that it enters the plant and moves up through the plant to affect insects that
are in contact with its juices.  Although there is a degradation of the product
in the plants and soil over time, this period varies with local conditions.

understanding that French authorities have put a temporary hold on the use of
this chemical pending further study and discussion. However, recently
imidacloprid has been given a clean bill of health by a prominent Canadian
entomologist, apparently working with Bayer, the manufacturer, and without much
input -- if any -- from Canadian beekeepers.  Imidacloprid products have thus
received approvals for use in Canada in this coming season.  My understanding is
that it is being approved also in the USA.

There has been little discussion in North America about this chemical and its
potential effects on beekeeping and pollination of crops.  This is partly
because most of the discussion is in French and the material has not been well
collected and presented for browsing coherently.

I have therefore completed the first phase of a site to provide imidacloprid
information in English at
http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Imidacloprid/index.html

The site is still beta, and feedback is requested.  Particularly I would
appreciate comments about the organisation of the site and suggestions for
additional material.

allen
http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/