From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 19:27:31 -0700
Hi all:

I did say:
. But seriously, in beekeeping in the 1930s it came
together.

To which Bob Harrison wrote:
in the thirties beekeeping in the U.S was at its lowest
ebb. Tens of thousands of hives were being burned to try
and get  a handle on AFB.The trend continued until around
1944 when sulfa was found to control AFB(at the University
of Missouri) thus saving the industry.

Reply:
Nah, this cannot be! This was the Golden Age of Beekeeping
and honey production was at it highest, especially for the
war effort.

When did this AFB start? Can you be more specific? Tens of
thousands of hives burning and beekeepers hiding hives?
Sulfa you say in 1944! But I thought Terramycin is used to
control foul brood.

Nah, something wrong here, this was the Golden Age of
Beekeeping, for it was widely known that bigger was better
and bees make more honey this way!

Bob Harrison then wrote:
Burning alone will not control AFB when *out of control*
*UNLESS* you burn all colonies.

Reply:
Don't believe this either! Dr Jaycox used to take foul
brood combs to bee meetings and show around. Those that
couldn't process the combs got burned, but those that could
did not. We just simply retooled the wax. Didn't you retool
your wax too? Trade it for new foundation?

Nah, still believe this was the Golden Age of Beekeeping.
Bigger was better and many big outfits came into being.
Many big associations also. Certainly couldn't do that if
things were bad!

Besides it is only foul you talk about and AFB. Look at
what we got to deal with today. Chalk, nosema, mites,
beetles. You mention nothing about things going wrong with
them, so cannot be too bad back then.

The trend was to keep going bigger and bigger for more
production.Don't do that if things are bad. Nope, it was a
Golden Age of Beekeeping.Bee Breeding also for bigger
queens to go with bigger bees and comb!

REgards,

Dee A. Lusby
Commercial Beekeeper