From:
Eric Abell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 1995 07:31:04 -0600
Eric Abell                           email: [log in to unmask]
Gibbons, AB, T0A 1N0
Canada
(403) 998 3143

On Mon, 24 Apr 1995, Allen Dick wrote:

> However, we did have _one yard_ where we lost 15 out of 24 hives.  This
> particular yard produced very well last year and plugged up badly a couple
> of times, including once in September when they had only one super (above
> the double broods and excluder) during a very intense late flow.

Almost every time I find a yard with these losses I find trach. mites
upon examination.  How about sampling the weak hives and letting us
know.  One difference, however, is that in most cases these are yards
that were poor producers the previous year and did build up well.

> On the other hand, I *have* always claimed that even good hives can be too
> heavy for good wintering and that there is an ideal weight range.  I have
> had trouble recruiting believers to that latter position however -- with
> most commercials saying "Give 'em all they'll take".

You may have something here.

However.... my best yeards are all rather heavy
But... my best hives are almost always light.  Last weak I came upon
several simply bursting with bees and brood but only a couple of days
away from starvation.  I suspect that this cold damp weather we are
having this week may see a number of colonies starve before I can get to
them.

Eric Abell
Gibbons, AB
Canada