Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 07:33:56 +1200
Organic honey

There are beekeepers who can and do set their hives in very
remote parts of this world. With many, many miles from
industry, agriculture, and human habitation.

The arguments below can with little modification be applied to
just about anything produced with an "organic" label.

> Even assuming that an area the size of the potential foraging district of a
> beehive can be claimed to be 'organic', no one can assure us that all the things
> that hold water or make dust in that area will be also 'organic'.  Bees will
> gather anything they can find that appeals to them.

If this arguement is just a prejudice against the concept of
organic products then the argument is doing a disservice to
the beekeeping industry.

If the honey that I can produce on an unihabited island in the
middle of the South Pacific can not be called organic then
there is a problem with the system unrelated to the quality of
the honey.

John Lewis
Fiji Islands