Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2013 15:11:57 -0600
Imidicloprid replaced Temick in potato fields for control of Colorado Potato
Beetle.  Every spring just as the weeds started to grow on the fields I
would find dead and dying Morning Doves.  Not just an occasional bird
either.  Since Imidicloprid came along I have not found one dead or dying
bird, and I was in those same fields every day.  Neonics are not without
problems, but they are such an environmental improvement over what came
before.  Another personal observation.  The use of Gaucho and other similar
products replaced some truly terrible poisons in grain fields to control
aphids.  I have seen grain fields sprayed from the air with organo phospates
to control aphids that left an absolute waste land of birds, and what was
not killed outright had nothing left to eat.
Dave