From:
Ruary Rudd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ruary Rudd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 May 1999 07:41:18 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Billson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 22 May 1999 22:02
Subject: smell? honey or disease?

>What I did see was a lot of capped brood.  Most of it looks like drone.  I
>didn't spot the queen.  Though she isn't marked and with all the bees, I
could
>easily miss her.
>
>Is it possible the new queen failed?  There are no supercedure cells.
>Could I have laying worker or just a bad new queen or just one that hasn't
>settled down yet?  And how do I figure which it is?
>           bob
>--

When you are inspecting a colony it is not necessary to actually find the
queen to ensure that she is there.

Inspect the brood area for recently laid eggs

If they are present laid one to a cell and in the bottom of the cell then
you have a queen laying.

If they are present and there are several in each cell and they are attached
to the side wall of the cell you might have a queen which is just starting
to lay or you might have a laying worker, in that case examination of sealed
brood cells would  help to determine the  matter.
Drone brood in worker sized cell means a laying worker.

To check if the queen has disappeared placed a  frame with newly laid eggs
from another colony into the brood box, if the queen is not present AND
there is NO Laying workers, queen cells will be started.

Ruary Rudd