From:
Brian Tassey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 22:35:26 -0400
I've used excluders on large numbers of colonies and found them to work fine.
 They make management much easier.  Some times when working with people that
have limited experience (part-time help) it's the only way to go.  Knowing
when to super in the flow to provide a honey barrier is what I prefer.  It
all depends on the flow and your locale. I'd like to see a real study on this
"tale" also.

The smoke we have used for years is burlap.  We buy it in 500 pound bales and
it's just convenient and plentiful.  We cut it on a saw or use a Grape Hook (l
ike a linoleum knife).  It's not a pleasant smelling mess but produces large
volumes of white smoke.  One thing on the smoke idea also is that the saying
"Less is Best" really fits here.  I've watched people do far more damage than
good to themselves and the bees by over smoking.  Remember we breathe it too.
 In a pinch I've burnt a sock or two and a few "old" cow chips (age is
critical here).

I would like to hear some quotes on honey prices from packers that some of
you US and Canadian producers are receiving.  I've just heard today that the
ITC ruling for Chinese honey into the US was 150%. Is that true? Can anyone
expand on that.  I heard a quote of .56/lb for amber alfalfa and .63 for
white grades from a CA beeman.
Thanks for the tip on the excluder dip (another problem solved).  Does anyone
know how to get the bees to just put the honey in the barrel first (it would
save alot of hassle and I'd like that problem solved)?

Brian Tassey