From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2013 20:15:04 -0400
[log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])   writes:

OK, but  you (Jerry) have to publish those findings, or send them to the
group  making up the COLOSS book - look at what "everyone" will  consider
"standard", based upon what has been published:
We developed this method in the 1990s for EPA.  We found  that Steve Tabor
had a good idea, but cutting out pieces of comb, freezing next  to cutlets,
and re-inserting was a highly unreliable metric.  It did not  meet EPA
requirements for reproducibility.  The physical damage often  induced repair
activity.

Our method was published.  For over 20 years, I  also posted the method on
my Univ of MT web site.  Since  I've retired, that  site was taken down.
We're rebuilding the  information  on our Tech Transfer company site, but have
to dig  up some of the old  material.

Medhat built on our technique - perhaps he will describe his  method here.

You can find our full technique published in:

Field Manual of Techniques in Invertebrate Pathology: Application and  ...
edited by Lawrence A. Lacey, Harry K. Kaya  2007  Springer; pages  828-830.
We also mentioned the method in:  REAL-TIME  MONITORING OF MPCA HAZARDS TO
HONEY BEES IN MICROBIALCONTAINMENT FLIGHT  CHAMBER .J.J. Bromenshenka, B.
Lighthartb,  R.L. McGraw IIa, M. R. Loesera, B. Bircha, and  P.J. Bowmana
Division of Biological Sciences, The University of  Montana Missoula,
Missoula, MT 59812-1002; and bEnvironmental  Research Laboratory, United States
Environmental Protection Agency, Corvallis,  OR 97333
You can also find a description on several web  sites:
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/hygenequeen.html
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/misc/hygienic.htm
_http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=bromenshenk%20liquid%20nitrogen&sour
ce=web&cd=15&ved=0CE0QFjAEOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.clemson.edu%2Fextension%2
Fbeekeepers%2Fnewsletters%2Fbn0699.pdf&ei=TgmcUfuHHpCrjAKL24DACg&usg=AFQjCNE
5bCqn6ekWnEI2PSQEIlfry4Ev7w&bvm=bv.46751780,d.cGE_
(http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=bromenshenk%20liquid%20nitrogen&source=web&cd=15&ved=0CE0QFjA
EOAo&url=http://www.clemson.edu/extension/beekeepers/newsletters/bn0699.pdf&