From:
mark berninghausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 14:03:23 -0800
Lloyd,  Pay for Seniors last season was $18.49/hr. I don't have the 2005 pay rates for Apiary 3, 2, and 1, but inthe 2004 season they were paid $15.64, $14.76 and $13.94/ hr respectively. And Seniors were $17.49/hr in 2004.

  Medical Insurance coverage, individual or family plan, is on partial employee/ employer contribution. Pension? What pension? Maybe you are refering to retirement? After 20 seasons I don't have 10 years. So what am I going to get. I was hoping to hold onto the job for another seven years at 6 months per year to get to my ten years service. I guess that that's out the window now.

  If by disability you mean Workers Compensation, yes. But one only gets benefit from that if one gets hurt. I guess that's something.

  Yes, you are definately right about sick time etc. If an Apiary Inspector gets sick or has to have an operation that puts him out of work, well too bad, we don't know you.

  I went to Maryland to be with my Mother, while she was in the hospital, before she died. My supervisor okayed me taking my supervisory work with me so that I could maintain a paycheck and do what I would have been doing at home if I had been layed up.

  A week later I was told that what I was doing in Maryland was invalid and didn't count. Human Resources said that I didn't qualify for Federal Medical Family Leave because I had not worked 1940 hours in the previous 12 months.

  So, I returned home to get in my time to maintain a paycheck and insurance. And then my Mother died without me being there with my Sister who had to tell the Doctors to go ahead and turn off the machinery. Oh well. Such is life, I guess.

  Fourty hours per week for 26 weeks would come to $19,229.60 and then another $9,000.00 approximately of unemployment compensation. Not enough to maintain heath insurance. My daughters broken ankle came out of our credit card. She's doing fine.

  I believe that the budget for Extension come from Ag&Mkts, or at least something for Cornell/Dyce Lab does. So, you'd still have to get the money from them.

  Maine says TJ can't own more than 50 colonies and his inspectors can't own anymore than 150. According to Rip Bechmann, New Jersey Apiary Inspectors can't pollinate. maybe Dennis can tell us what Pennsylvania requires.

  There are alot of different ways to do this sort of program. Someone should study the other ones and see how they could be applied here, in NY.

  I'm almost typed out, Mark

Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Mike Stoops makes some good points concerning compensation of inspectors.

Mark B should correct me if I am incorrect, but in rough terms today's NYS
inspectors earn roughly $14 an hour, plus medical coverage and pension. I
think disability is also included.