Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2013 07:14:07 -0600
> Our experience is that small-scale beekeepers are further ahead than large-scale beekeepers in acceptance of resistant bees. This is understandable, because commercial beekeepers are necessarily more averse to risks and the technology is new.

That is also because biological approaches are more variable than
chemical treatments.

Maintaining resistant stock, especially in the early stages requires
closer observation and management of queens. Commercial operators are
often distant from their hives and while they are absent, supersedure
happens at a fairly high rate.  Drones in the region may not be
resistant at all.

Converting to resistant stock takes time and effort and maintaining that
stock can be difficult.

Moreover, in any batch of purchased or raised queens, individuals may
range from highly resistant to susceptible, and there is no practical
way to identify the rogues.

On the other hand, chemical measures, properly administered,  tend to be
consistent across all hives.

In order to obtain greater acceptance by commercial operators, the
proponents of resistant stock need to develop and promote practical
management systems that approach the same consistency as chemical solutions.