From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 08:17:32 -0500
Bob Harrison wrote:

> Finding capensis in Arizona
> is not good news but if capensis is in Arizona and our bee lab knows this
> is true then they need to inform us as they work for our interests. I again
> thank Dr. Hoffman for her honesty and have to wonder why Dr. Erickson did
> not enlighten us to the labs  capensis findings.

Bob,
Are we talking "traits" that were observed or do the bees actually have
capensis genes?

And, if traits, are those same traits common with AHB in South Africa,
at the boundary of AHB with Capensis? I did not realize there was cross
breeding.

Only trying to establish the extent of the problem, since different
races of bees can have, from time to time, traits of others, such as
aggression, propolis buildup, etc.. But if we are talking genes, then it
is an entirely different problem.

Your post seems to affirm my belief that the mechanics of the hive and
beekeeping are low on the list compared to the bee itself. Good bees
make good beekeepers.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Me