From:
T & M Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 07:44:13 PDT
Richard wrote

>  Should I go back in a few days and let the queen out or will they free her
> without a hole in the cube.

If you were here in Australia, my advice is not to worry.  You have done the right thing by not putting a hole in the candy.  The queen needs as long as possible in the cage to get the scent of the hive before she is released, particularly in your case where the hive is aggressive.  There have been any cases in Australia of poor introduction because the queen has been released by the bees too soon and been rejected.

In some cases, it is recommended that you leave the cork in the candy end for a day or too and then return to take the cork out.  In your case, this would not be adviseable because of the agressive nature of the hive.

Leave it a week before you return to see if the queen has been accepted.  Use minimal smoke and shut the hive up immediately you see eggs.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA