From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:24:11 -0500
Dan said "but have purchased some good NWC queens from Tim Arheit, one of
the regional coordinators."

I have never purchased one of Tim's queens, nor queens from anyone in OH
other than Sue Cobey (who has left for warmer climates), but I know Tim and
would not hesitate to purchase his queens if I lived nearby.

That said, do not automatically overlook queens from the South.  For
example, those from Charlie Harper www.russianbreeder.org are undoubtedly
some of the best in the US (and perhaps THE best) for northern climates.  If
I only had a few hives, those are what I would purchase.

There are several good reasons why queens raised in the south will generally
be superior to those raised in the north, all other matters being equal.
But I won't go into them.

Good luck,

Lloyd