From:
Rick Hough <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 1994 11:41:53 +0000
Malcolm Roe mentioned his bees bringing in red pollen....

Just last week I heard a story from a beekeeper of 40+ years
that has some bearing on this.  As is often the case, it took
a long time to get the story in person, due to all the
embellishments that accompany most good stories. Anyhow,
the crux of the story was that after extensive searching for
the source of an unusual pollen that this beekeeper's bees
were bringing in sporadically, he located a cemetary about
1 km away.  The bees were foraging on the flowers that
mourners were leaving at the graves!!!!  So here is one
possible explaination for small amounts of unusual pollens
being brought in. I am frequently amazed by the resourcefulness
of these critters!

Rick Hough, Hamilton, MA, USA

Local conditions: FINALLY!! Spring seems to be creeping into town!
Nights are still cool - often below 40F, but the snow has melted,
and the days are often approaching 60F. Bees are bringing in lots
of pollen, but not much nectar yet.