Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:21:38 -0500
The information I got from my Regional bee inspector, the Van Island colonies started to crash in the fall and early winter. She also said that there hadn't been any testing done. I'm not sure why and didn't think to ask. My impression was there was nothing left to test. The ministry believes it was due to mites becoming resistant to the mite treatments.
Some of the island beekeepers feel it was CCD as their hives were empty.
They also had very high losses in, I think 2007, the range of 40% to 50% and have been relying on imported bees and queens from the southern hemisphere which is thought by some to have added to the issue. It was very dry for this area last year which may have had an effect on the quality of pollen foraged on, could have been another factor. That with the foraging season drying up early July and warm weather into Nov.