Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 16:05:46 UT
I'm new to beekeeping, and will be installing 2 packages this spring.  We have
a small orchard and would like to keep bees for pollination.My questions are:

1)Foundation:  I am considering starting with cut comb honey foundation, but
I've seen differing opinions on this for beginners from different authors -
what do you think?  Also, I figured I could just crush the combs and let the
honey drain out instead of cutting into chunks and this way I could get some
beeswax too.  Could I put new foundation in the supers every year like this,
or it would it be too stressful on the bees?  I would like to get enough
beeswax to make candles, etc. and with only a few hives figured I would not
get much from cappings and excess comb.

2)Feeding:  Is it  a good idea to feed the newly installed package with pollen
substitute patties in addition to syrup?

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to reply to my message.  I have
learned a lot from the list, and hopefully someday I may even be able to
contribute to the discussion ( with a little experience)!   :)

Susan Starr
St. Louis, MO