From:
Donald Aitken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 13:45:54 -0600
A hivetop feeder is similar to a shallow super with a plywood
bottom glued to it. This makes a wooden pan which contains the syrup. To
get the bees to the syrup one adds a wooden island in the middle . A hole
is cut in the middle of the island to let the bees climb up from below. To
keep the bees from flying into the syrup and drowning, a wire mesh cage
can be put over the island.

In the actual construction, I use plwood with dadoed joints for the sides
and a rabbeted groove for the bottom. I believe this makes them more syrup
proof. The height of the island is about 1/2 inch less than the depth of
the pan.

Donald Aitken
11710-129 Street
Edmonton Alberta Canada