Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 11:42:55 GMT+0200
Gary B. Swift" <[log in to unmask]> wote:

> Subject: Poisonous? Hallucinogenic? Illegal? Honey...
>
> Hey, good question!  And do bees pollinate cannabis?, and opium
> poppies?, and coca plants? and jimson weed? etc., etc.
>
> If so, would this honey be hallucinogenic (and illegal) as well as
> poisonous???  Seems like we would have heard of it by now...  Maybe the
> bees avoid these plants, or else convert any active substances into
> harmless ones.

I actually also wonder about the propolis - Prof Stanfords recent
apis mentioned commercial production of propolis for use as a
pharmaceutical product, to be consumer among other things.

Now, south africa being a bit of a cannabis problem zone, as well as
the sort of country that could produce lots of propolis could have
some interesting effects.

I have seen both bees collecting resin and cannabis plants, and don't
see why they would not collect resin of the cannabis head - this
would mean one could get bees producing hash propolis that would be
sold - cannabinols are alcohol soluble - so some people would cure
their arthritis or forget they had it!!!

Onn that line, it seems that bees would also use opium resins quite
effectively as a propolis constituent?? Anybody out there that uses
propolis felt the urge to write Khubla Khan style verses afterwards?

Just a thought!

Keep well and happy festive seasons to all (where applicable) and new
years to all (where applicable).

Garth

---
Garth Cambray       Camdini Apiaries
15 Park Road        Apis melifera capensis
Grahamstown         800mm annual precipitation
6139
Eastern Cape
South Africa               Phone 27-0461-311663

On holiday for a few months     Rhodes University
Which means: working with bees 15 hours a day!
Interests: Fliis and bees
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post in no way
reflect those of Rhodes University.