From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Sep 2013 21:12:47 +0000
If the discussion is about Apivar. Canadian label calls for 1 trip for 5 frames of bees. According to my research and surveys, beekeepers could apply 1-4 strips. Most of Alberta beekeepers (80%) apply 2 strips in spring in top box when they feed pollen patties. As bees go up to feed on pollen patties they get better exposure and efficacy reaches more than 95%. This application could be enough for a full year. Monitoring varroa in late summer -early fall will determine if fall treatment is needed.

For Apivar fall treatment we recommend 1 strip/5 frames of bees. Strips should be placed where bee cluster is found. 2 strips in the bottom box and 1 or 2 in the top box are applied as needed. Thus, efficacy can reach 95% or more. We found if beekeepers cut corners and apply  strips in the top box in the fall and feed for winter, efficacy is very low. Most bees are already in the bottom box and no exposure to strips. At least Albertan beekeepers know that much and have been mostly sticking to this recommendation to achieve best results. We also encourage beekeepers to stay away from the spring and fall use of Apivar unless it is necessary. They can use formic, oxalic or thymovar as alternatives. Thus, we delay resistance development, follow best management practices based on IPM principles.

Medhat

Dr. Medhat Nasr
Alberta Provincial Apiculturist
Pest Surveillance Branch
Crop Research and Extension
Agriculture and Rural Development
17507 Fort Road NW
Edmonton, AB T5Y 6H3 Canada
Tel: 780-415-2314             Fax: 780-422- 6096
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]