From:
The Christensens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 09:15:23 -0600
Howdy Folks;
    as I follow this discussion on temperature affecting varroa, I keep
thinking about the research that shows the bees have a tremendous ability to
regulate the temperature in the hive. I attended the bee-masters short
course at Simon Frasier, and one of the presentations made was on thermal
regulation. The young lady making the presentation referred to research
demonstrating that hives placed in temperature extremes were able to
maintain the temperature in the broodnest to within one degree + or - of
normal. (Sorry I don't recall who did the research)
    My point being that if temperature is going to be used as a varroa
control then the temperature of the broodnest would need to be affected. How
would this be accomplished without totaly disrupting the bees? The other
thought that comes to mind is that if varroa is very sensitive to
temperature then it would likely only be the developing varroa. Other wise
everytime a bee flew outside of the hive the varroa would be killed.
    What say ye?

Leon.