From:
David Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 13:31:38 -0500
I have a few questions - very beginner stuff, I was hoping to get answered:

First, reading material for beginners - I've been surfing around the 'net,
gathering as much material on beekeeping as possible; email, listserves,
newsgroups, etc. I've read the pamplets from my local agricultural center,
and have almost finshed a book called "Keeping Bees", by John Vivian
(copyright 1986 - the only "bee book" in my local bookstore). It seems like
a good book, but to a beginner, how do I know? What are some other good
sources of reading for beginners?

Second, just about everything I read has a "bee calendar" of what to do
throughout the year with your hives. One thing that I don't see anywhere is
"start your hives now". In other words, when is the best time to begin new
hives? I'm figuring I'm too late for this year, and that fall is a terrible
time because a new hive wouldn't be able to winter. Should I order by bees
for early spring and get the full season in next year?

David Scott
http://www.access-developer.com
http://www.mtgroup.com