From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 2014 05:39:46 -0500
In NYC, the bedbug industry is thriving, so much so that local TV
commercials feature "Roscoe" a bedbug sniffing dog who has become a minor
celebrity from all the commercials.  I cannot remember the name of the
company, proving that some ads are so good, they trip over their own
cuteness.

Anyway, the talk of the lobby during the intermission of "The Magic Flute"
was about the multiple stories of phony bedbug "detection" followed by
superfluous "remediation". The fees charged are not cheap. Here's one of the
stories:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2010/09/dont_let_th
e_bedbugs_fright.html
http://tinyurl.com/kc6ho29

So, it seems appropriate that essential oils, which don't work, would be
used to treat infestations that didn't exist in the first place.

But most of the companies here are said to use the cold spray approach (Co2
I suppose, but I dunno).
Our luggage room (condos and co-ops have shared facilities for storage of
stuff like luggage) is uncomfortably warm as it is next to the hot water
boiler and has several hot water pipes running through it, and as it turns
out, the heat makes it hard for bedbugs to survive.  Regardless, I
double-bag my luggage in garbage bags before storing it, as the way bedbugs
get into a building is via luggage brought back from the Indian
subcontinent.