From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2009 00:13:09 -0600
Hello Jerry & All,
First let me say that HFCS is crap and contains Mercury and two poisons
which by their self kill bees.  The health food people see HFCS for what it
is. If I see a product contains HFCS I do not buy.
For breakfast I like Thomas Muffins which have this on the front of the
package:
Contains no HFCS!
Those which drink regular Pepsi & Coca cola are drinking carbonated HFCS
with a cola flavor! Yuk!

That said let me share what myself and Bell Honey use for bee feed.

We no longer use HFCS do to problems (other than HMF's ) and use 67.5 BRIX
sucrose.  We are an hour and a half from the plant. We do not store  sucrose
other than maybe for a week. Never let sit in the sun other than when in the
yard feeding.

If sitting outside during the day  I cover the totes on the truck with a
tarp to prevent the sun reaching the tote while sitting on the truck.

When we pick up the sucrose the plant gives us the PH and temp. The last
load was 92 F. and a PH of 7.2.( you might have to ask for the readings)

 I pumped feed today and will pump the rest tomorrow so I do have a small
tank heater in the tote tonight but the temp is below freezing outside so
the temp in the tote most likely will only be maybe 60F. in the morning.

We changed our ways after Dr. Eric Mussen gave a talk at the Missouri State
Beekeepers meeting about storing HFCS & sucrose. In our opinion ( after
using the method above instead of getting tanker loads and storing at the
bee farm)  the extra fuel cost and time involved in going and picking the
syrup up is well worth the insurance we will not be feeding a sub par
product.

The beeks with the best bees are paying attention to small details these
days in our opinion.

I realize many are too far from a plant to do as we do but in many parts of
Texas, Florida and California the above is possible, We figure the feed we
need and pickup. we have picked up 8 275 gallon totes at a time.

We like getting directly from the plant as most of the bee supply houses use
the metal tanks. We always used (even with HFCS) 1500 gallon plastic tanks
or 275 gallon totes.

For hobby beeks my advice is to buy table sugar and only mix what you need
and only use the heat needed to get into solution.

bob