From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2014 01:41:59 -0400
Someone referenced a stinging incident that made the news last year from
hives being moved mid-day.  That incident happened about 10 miles from me
where a commercial pollinator moved several pallets of bees mid-day and the
left behind field force stung a tethered dog to death.  The dog's owner was
naturally quite upset and called the local authorities and the local tv
station and it stayed in the news several days.  I don't think any charges
were filed.  I saw some of the pollinator's bees on cucumbers the other day
and noticed he had put up a metal 'real estate' type sign warning people
that bees were present.

I used to move quite a few bees mid-day top avoid the usual disasters that
can happen at night - getting lost, stuck, I once hung a low-hanging live
power line with my bee boom in the dark....- and left a couple of nucs
behind to pick up the stragglers.  It seemed to work.

Bill Lord
beekeepingconsultingfordevelopment.com
Louisburg, NC