From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2014 18:27:07 -0300
On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 3:44 PM, charles Linder wrote:

>On a small scale the types that have a "basket" Ie support for the comb
work

> just fine.

I agree.  And the simplest extractor with a basket is a narrow plywood box
to drop the comb in with a little stick of wood to keep the comb off the
bottom and a hole for a coconut husk or other plug.  Fasten out about 20 cm
from a pole with a nail in the bottom.  Spin the pole on the nail by hand
and the honey extracts.

This is appropriate technology.  Top bar hives are appropriate technology.
I have some issues with Honey Care Africa promoting langstroth hives.
They do the extracting.  The recipients of langstroth hives have to sell
the honey to them to pay off the hives.  I have not been back to Kenya for
many years now so do not want to bad mouth Honey Care Africa, just point
out that it is only one of many ways to promote beekeeping for
development.  I would be curious as to how the beekeeping training at
Egerton College in the Rift Valley is progressing.  This program (which I
think was supported in part by an Irish beekeeping group) gave training in
both langstroth and top bar hive management.

When was the last time any of the beekeepers on this list made a quantity
of frames using hand tools only?  And who says that you need a queen
excluder to produce quality honey?

Stan