From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 02:08:30 EST
In a message dated 3/11/02 9:17:51 PM GMT Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> I would not dipute that there could be absorption of the wax by the timber
> as a piece of timber at EMC has a lot of space in it from the previous loss
> of free and bound moisture during seasoning

We purchased a substantial quantity of boxes from a defunct neighbour some
years ago, and they had been habitual wax dippers (more like frying than
dipping). There were also a quantity of their boxes undipped.

When kept dry there is no doubt that the dipped ones are markedly heavier,
but their weight stays constant and there is no absorbtion of water whilst in
the countryside and wet conditions, which can take some time to dry out again.

I have never measured this weight difference although it does cause some
grumbling with a member of staff who gets deceived by it.

Personally I dont think it important, and those boxes treated that way seem
to weather just the same as those only treated with creosote or similar. Well
painted seem to last in  best superficial condition in our climate as the
surfaces do not get grazed at by wasps. From the bees point of view it seem
to be of little consequence.

Murray