Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 09:44:13 -0600
Fluon is kind of a "paintable teflon" that I have seen used in an urban
entomology laboratory.  Plastic shoe boxes had the inside top inch or two
painted with the stuff, and the ants can't get a grip on it, so you can keep
a colony of ants in an open plastic box this way.  I heard that it lasts a
couple of years or so (not forever) and after that has to be redone, so it
was said.  At that time (about 4-5 years ago if I recall correctly) I was told
that it costs about a hundred dollars a gallon for the stuff.  I am waiting to
hear back from the lab to see if they have the information on where it can be
purchased (at least where they bought it from).  I'll post it when I find it.

I imagine that bees couldn't walk on it either (until they goobered it up with
propolis), but I am guessing that if you had you hives on a stand with legs and
you painted the legs with fluon that ants wouldn't be able to climb up the legs
of the stand.  I think the legs of the stand would need to be as smooth as
possible before painting.

I was thinking of setting up a leafcutter ant colony for fun using fluon to
help keep them in, and gave up on the idea when I found out how much it cost.
If the guy at the lab ever calls me back with the information, I'll post it,
but now I'll post this message.  Good luck.

I would be interested in how you intend to use the fluon in controlling ant
problems if you wouldn't mind letting us know.  Thanks,

Layne Westover, College Station, Texas