From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 1996 15:35:22 -0400
  REGARDING           RE>Apistan placement in hives

Eric Abell wrote (8/21):
"As I have some yards that have been exposed to Varroa it is my intention to
treat these with Apistan this fall.  All of these colonies are in 2 brood
chambers and while it would be nice to put 2 strips in each chamber, it is a
real pain to get into the bottom one.  So my question is this:

What has the experience been putting 4 strips in the upper chamber ONLY?"

Due to experience, I have learned the hard way that it is important to put two
strips in each hive body.  Like you, I have had to deal with fully packed
hives this time of the year, which presents challenges.

This is how I do it:  First, I remove the outer cover and smoke the surface of
the inner cover, usually completely covered by bees.  Then I pry the two hive
bodies apart, at the back, and puff smoke in as soon as there is a crack.  I
pry up all four corners of the top chamber, then slide it back about an inch
and tip it up upon the lower chamber and balance it in this position with one
hand.  The bees usually are pretty well cleared away from between the hive
bodies because of the prior smoking, so the strips can be slipped in the lower
chamber easily now.  At this time I also put a couple of Terrapatties down as
well.  The upper chamber is now lowered back into place, the inner cover
removed and the strips and more Terrapatties placed on the upper chamber.

I also have several colonies in three hive bodies packed with bees.  This
really is a challenge to get Apistan into each one of them.  It is not
anywhere near as easy as with just two!

Ted Fischer