From:
Gerard Worrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 1995 10:25:26 -0400
     The magazine "Sheep!" has a column called the Frugal Shepherd,
devoted to cost saving practices submitted by readers. I'd like to
initiate a discussion on cost saving practices in beekeeping. Pleae feel
free to submit a comment. To start the ball rolling.......

   The cost of paint is usually too high for my blood, $11-15 a gallon
for basic white. I stop by the mis-mixed paint department and pick up
some at relatively low price $1.00 /qt or $2.97 /gal. This serves two
purposes. I repaint my hives more often and I introduce variety in the
beeyard. It helps the bees cut down on drift with the different colors
and I can also mark supers differently. (one color for round sections,
another for cut comb, yet another for different sizes). I marked a few
brood chambers with vertical stripes, triangles or circles. Use your
imagination.

Jerry Worrell,Dunkirk MD.