From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2015 08:58:58 -0500
But I am in support of Bailey’s contention that lowered density is healthier for bees. In fact, the large scale migration and feedlot style beekeeping seems like a dead end to me.

It seems that both Peters have a issue with commercial bee lots.
  Defining healthy is obviously a "Problem" AS all define it differently.  Some would say if you have to treat for anything its not successful,  others would say treating for mites is fine,  and some would even allow a bit more.

Most coomercial lots do treat for mites and antibiotics  that is true,  is it a problem related to the close proximity of hives?  I would say no.  as these same beekeepers would (and do) treat small yards exactly the same.  This I know as I get to travel a lot with some of the bigger commercial guys.  On the east coast most yards are small 20-50 hives at most.  On the west coast,  they like yards with truckload quanties.  Both sides treat the bees the same.

But back to defining success. If you visit these yards And I mean actually VISIT them,  you will see fantastic hives.  Usually very well balanced.  Hives booming with bees and honey production numbers that  most hobbyist never dream of.

If you want to continue to buy honey at the store,  commercial guys are the ones doing it,  and larger lots and close hives are the normal.

IMO all the sniping at the large lots is unfair and inaccurate.  For most (not all) of the people out there,  they can trace there bees back to some of those larger lots.  You can also trace most of the funding for research, and the ability to buy honey at the grocery to those lots also.  (yes I know many disdain commercially sold honey)  but instead of proclaiming its failing and its horrible,  we should go look at their successes.

I know in my yard,  those "commercial yards"  are the benchmark.   I hope to have bees that look that good and produce like that.  Towards that  I at least try to ask the right questions.

Charles