From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 06:53:12 -0400
Rimantas Zujus wrote:

> A proper feeding for winter is also very important. Usually we feed bees
> with 60% sugar solution adding 10% of honey and some acid (vinegar or
> citric). Such mixture should be let to stay for two weeks stirring it
> periodically before feeding. The fermentation takes place. This let the
> colony to meet winter full of strength.

Tests of different winter feeds by British scientists found that unheated
granulated cane sugar syrup is best for overwintering. The addition of acid
and/or honey increases winter kill. Even HFCS is better than honey for
overwintering but not as good as cane sugar.

The sugar syrup should not be allowed to ferment since this also increased
bee mortality.

Problem with most winter feeds is you do not see any die-off since the
increased die-off is usually in the 10-20% range which is easily masked by
natural winter die-off. If you do it every year, you get the same results
and think that is normal. If you get greater die-off, then the winter feed
is the last to be blamed since it allways worked before, yet it may be the
actual problem.

There is no need to add anything to the cane sugar or heat it up. In this
case, the easiest way is the best way.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME