From:
Edward Sterling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 1995 23:56:13 -0400
I live in central Massachusetts, USA.
I am sharing the care, and output, of 2 hives with a friend. It's our first
season and the 2 hives are doing very well. We haven't checked
for varroa, if it is present it certainly seems to have no effect
on the hive. I kept bees in Canada for 6 years back 81-86 so I am
not a complete novice.

The friend's uncle has 2 hives, and knows for a fact they are
infested with varroa. The uncle is old, and tired of it all,
and wants to offer the hives to my friend.

My friend asks:
1. What proximity of the infested hives might cause them to
   infest our 2 "clean hives"? Or does "every" hive in North
   America now face inevitable infestation, making it a non-issue.

2. If my friend works on the uncle's infested hives, will the
   varroa parasitically remain on his gloves, veil, and beesuit,
   alive and well enough to possibly then infect our 2 good hives
   when he comes to work on them. If they do get on clothing and
   gloves, how long can they live "outside" their "apis" host
   body?

Thanks for feedback

Ed
Ed Sterling, GPCC       | ACTUAL quotes from my kids: "Daddy, hummingbirds
Bolton, MA 01740 USA    | help the bees put honey in the flowers!" "In the
Phone/FAX: 508-779-6058 | daytime, the sun melts the moon into cloudpieces!"
 "[log in to unmask]" | "A snowman makes the quietest sounds in the world"
Wish you had a favorite childhood toy from the 1950s/60s/70s back again?
Barbie? GI Joe? Fanner 50? Girder and Panel? See http://www.ultranet.com/~ed