From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:41:14 -0600
Randy said:
> An ester is a compound made by combining an organic acid and an alcohol,
> removing a molecule of water in the process.  If you add water back, the
> chemical may break back down to the original components.

 Miteaway works in such a fashion--it absorbs moisture
> from the hive, and slowly releases the formic acid that is formed.

> soaking in formic would not recharge that same way.

Thanks Randy for the reply. I have been busy checking and doing searches.
More questions than answers hence my post.

I went back to check *exactly* what the beekeeper wrote on the other list.
He wrote:
"Miteaway 2 contains a formic strearate"

In my original searches I could not find formic strearate but found both
formic acid & stearic acid included in many of the searches so when I asked
my original question:

"I have heard miteaway 2 is a formic stearic solution" I would have been
better to say

" I have heard miteaway 2 pads contain a formic strearate"

From my searches it seems that the result of combining stearic acid to a
chemical results in a strearate.

So am I right to conclude that if you add stearic acid to formic acid (
unknown amounts or method) you would end up with formic strearate?

If so the chemical base for miteaway 2 pads would not be an ester but a
strearate?

What would a strearate add to the miteaway 2 pads which would perhaps make
the pad better than using only formic acid?

My guess would be in longevity of the formic acid mite treatment in some
way.

Chemists on the list?

bob